Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Is Everything Backwards?

Obviously, in moving to a new country one would expect differences, but I am continually humored ("humored" is the nice way to say it!) by how many things are quite opposite from the States. Here are some notable encounters: 

  • The toilets flow counter-clockwise. 
  • When you set a meeting for, say 3pm, instead of ARRIVING at your destination at 3pm, you should LEAVE your house at 3pm...sometimes without regard to how long the travel time is.
  • Stop signs are equivalent to Yield signs in the States. 
  • Red lights are strictly honored....unless no one else is coming, in which case you may freely proceed or be blasted with honking taxis from behind. 

Finally, what sparked this post:
  • Refrigerators circulate cold air exactly opposite of the models found in the States. I state this last one as having some authority. As of yesterday evening, I have now serviced/repaired (in some way or another) every refrigerator that we have ever owned: Feeling confident of my ability in this subject, I opened the compartment where the fan motor *should* have been, but I did not find it. After some time(45 minutes!) hacking away at the fridge, I derived that the fridge must circulate air differently than I had expected. 

Enjoy!
Taylor

P.S. - What are some things that you have noticed that are backwards, or at least confusingly different living in Latin America? 
P.P.S. - The fridge is now functioning normally...mostly...sort of...I think....?  ;-)

No comments: