Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Of Socks and Underwear

Back in Honduras I bought Levi some much needed socks. They happened to be "Superhero" socks with Superman and Batman on them...of course, my children had never seen Superman or Batman and initially Levi, Dan, and Glory just saw them as fun colorful socks with funny looking people on them. Over time, they have learned that those funny looking people have names and at least Glory remembers which character is which. At the time that I bought them, I had little idea of what I was starting.

When Dan's birthday came around this year, his Grandma sent him some underwear (per our request). When he open the package of colorfully striped, dotted, and checked undies, his eyes opened wide and he finally had undergarments to rival Levi's Superhero socks. So Dan sports his fancy underwear like an Olympic swimmer struts around in his Speedo swimsuit.

As Christmas time comes around, my mother asked me to get something for the kids. When I asked her what type of gift she wanted me to get the kids, she responded with, "Buy them anything but clothes. Clothes are not too exciting for ages 2,4,6,8." Only two days prior, Levi received a new package of whitey tighties, though not as colorful as Dan's undies, he was still proud enough of them to show them to me with a broad smile that stretched from ear to ear.

Are my kids fun or what!

Enjoy!
TaylorH

2 comments:

Taylor said...

In response to this post, a friend sent me this:
So your story of the boys made me remember the year my mom used my grandmas money to purchase us all flannel sheets. When my grandma was told this she felt confident she would get the lame grandma of the year award. Of course, we called her on Christmas morn and each kid profusely thanked her. When she got to my mom she said, "I never knew kids could be so excited about linens!"

~TH

Kirsten said...

Love this:). My kids get ridiculously excited about new clothes as well. This reminds me, too, of the time the neighbor, who was turning 4, told my 4 and 5 year old that she was having a Spongebob birthday. My kids had NO idea--she showed them a picture, and my 4yo thought he was a slice of cheese!! LOL To this day, they think Spongebob is ridiculous.